Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Civil War Reenactments - A Great Place To Work on Your Creative Side


My friend Jim and I recently attended the Nature Coast Civil War Re-enactment in Williston, Florida.  I really enjoy photographing these historical based events.  Re-enactors are really cooperative when it comes to being photographed.  And, they have a natural instinct to pose in character.


I ran into this family almost immediately after entering the event site. It is one of my favorite images from the event.  The family was in perfect character. My only posing request was that the little girl sits in her dad's lap for the photo.


This is a candid photo.  I blurred the clutter out of the background in Photoshop in post.   Unfortunately I missed seeing the certainly not 19th Century Ray Ban sunglasses worn by the fellow in the plaid shirt!


The Civil War era photographer was a real find.  I converted the image to black & white in Silver Efex Pro.


It is a real challenge to catch a glimpse of the orange flames as the canons are fired. You have to set your camera to take multiple frames in a burst and press the shutter just as the leader signals to fire. My camera is supported on a monopod.  At the Nature Coast Reenactment there were many canons to choose from.  I counted more than twenty. The organization pays a bounty for re-enactors to bring out their canons. I was still lucky to get this image.  

Civil War Re-enactments take place frequently around the country.  For some real photographic opportunities add one of these events to your photo itinerary.




No comments:

Post a Comment