Sunday, August 3, 2014

Opossum Family


This sighting was a first for me.  I came across this mother opossum yesterday while on an early morning walk.  At first I thought that the animal was moulting, but a closer inspection revealed that this was a mom with many babies.  I got off a couple of shots.  This was my favorite.  Shortly the opossum noticed me and took off into the bush.  I took this picture with my tiny (just slightly larger than my iPhone) Panasonic LF-1.  RAW in Aperture priority, f5.9, 43mm, ISO 200. When I got home I researched the opossum family and learned that a mom will birth as many as 15 babies and will carry them like this on their backs and in her pouch for up to 3 months. When opportunities  like this come up It is not important which camera you have with you.  It is only important that you have a camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment