Wednesday, January 29, 2014

My Switch to Digital Magazines

 Recently in the interest of saving trees I decided to let all of my paper photography magazines lapse. Additionally, I got tired of looking at that mountain of unread magazines on my nightstand.  Slowly, I am replacing my subscriptions with the digital editions. In this feature I am reviewing my first 2 digital photo subscriptions...Popular Photography and Shutterbug.   I like the easy reading style of Popular Photography. It's short content is ideal for reading while traveling. I am reading the February issue right now while flying. It is also easy to navigate around. It is interesting the way you are able to show the photos full screen.  The color resolution of the Pop Photo images on my iPad 2 is wonderful. Though Shutterbug has always been my favorite magazine for in depth photography articles I find the digital edition to be somewhat clunky...pretty much just a copy of the paper magazine. I really do like the Personal Projects and the feed back articles from David Brooks that are a staple in Shutterbug. I like the fact that you can copy and e-mail articles from the digital Shutterbug. That seems to be missing from Popular photography.  You can access the articles from a drop down contents page in Shutterbug. Incidentally, the ad pages really pop in both magazines digital reads. So far, I am happy to have made the switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment