Wednesday, April 17, 2013

This week has been for the Birds!

This past week has really been interesting.  It really has been a week for the birds!  On three separate occasions I was able to photograph birds on nests, birds on eggs and recently hatched birds.  This is such an incredible time of the year as new life springs forward in Florida!  Last Thursday before sunrise a friend and I  drove to Gatorland in Kissimmee, just about 2 hours from home to photograph..not gators, but birds.  The rookeries at Gatorland were loaded with birds, eggs and chicks.  My favorite photos from that trip are of the Tri Colored Heron chicks.  On Saturday, I took a 3 hour cruise up the Peace River from Punta Gorda with my car club.  This was a really relaxing wildlife cruise during which we saw hundreds of prehistoric appearing Wood Storks, Cattle Egrets and an occasional alligator.  My favorite image on that trip was of a female Wood Stork watching over the nest with 2 chicks.  Then, today I drove to Sarasota with a photographer friend to photograph a Pileated Woodpecker with 2 chicks.  What a bonanza.  It was fun dusting off  my big lens today (Nikon 200-400mm) and attaching my 1.7 time teleconverter to get the Woodpecker shots.  Here are a couple of my shots from Gatorland and the Peace River.







Tri Color Heron chicks..  I think that the one on the left is actually coming out of the egg.  What do you think?










Wood Stork with 2 chicks.  What do these chicks get to look forward to...that prehistoric old age look shortly after they leave the nest?





Woodpecker shots will be forthcoming. More later....


No comments:

Post a Comment